Friday, January 28, 2011

Las Vegas Little Black Dress


I have had a busy time this week with moving my sewing space, working, sewing for the girls and getting ready for a last minute business trip!


I needed a little black dress for dinner & cocktails during my trip so I decided to sew this black cotton bamboo dress.  I also needed a garment that can be folded and crammed in a suitcase as I always like to travel light with a carry-on suitcases for business trips. This was a another simple shift dress that I sewed by gathering the middle bodice for a better fit and detail.  I sewed most of the seams on my serger and I had no issues sewing the bamboo cotton fabric - it was a dream to sew with.  With this fabric I did not put in a zipper - I usually don't with jersey and bamboo so this dress was very easy to sew!


 I also serged this silver oh so soft shawl for cooler nights.  It is a knit fashion fabric that I got on sale!


I added the feather & beading trim by hand sewing.  It was time consuming because the thread kept getting caught in all the feathers & beads but I did this when I was watching my fave show Top Gear so it wasn't too bad.


I sewed this chiffon polka dot scarflette using my same pattern as my other ones. I think I have a hoodie
scarflette addiction. This will be my last one - for sure!  This one was entirely sewn on the serger ( a first) - I like the lines it gives the hoodie.  I always have problems sewing chiffon on my sewing machine it puckers so the serger was great!


When I wear it though, you can not tell from these pics because my hair is so dark.

When I knew what kind of trim I wanted - I searched 3 fabric stores until I found what I was looking for!  My daughter has asked me to sew a similar dress in white and I have started (a month ago) but I cannot find the white bead/ feather trims anywhere!  Her dress will have to wait or I will have to create my own trim!


 This will be my first business trip that I will be wearing clothes that I have made for my self!  I finally have a few garments that I feel are sewn correctly and look great!
My inspiration for this dress came from the Chanel Spring Collection 2011.  I love glamorous & glitz so this dress is perfect for Las Vegas!  The city  where I can wear my rhinestones during the day!!!

This is my Fashion Friday outfit this week. 


Have a spectacular weekend!!

20 comments:

Little Treasures said...

Great job on this one! Looks fantastic and luxurious!!

Bonnie D. said...

Lovely dress! i like the entire ensemble!

Denise said...

Thanks! The bamboo is also so comfortable to wear!

Rogerio Rinaldi e Glorinha Rinaldi said...

Loved your blog, wonderful, I'm following, congratulations
Roger Rinaldi deisgn jewelry and accessories
kisses

Young and Crafty said...

Wow it turned out great! The perfect mix of elegant and pizazz!

Thanks for sharing in FFA!

Hannah @ http://youngancrafty.blogspot.com/

To Sew With Love said...

fantastic projects!

Carolyn said...

I just love that feather trim....! A fun and funky touch to a classic!

Carolyn said...

I love the feather trim! A fun and funky touch to a classic!

Heather {WhipperBerry} said...

Beautiful...thanks for linking up at WhipperBerry!

kisses
heather

WobiSobi said...

Amazing!!! you are so talented..

B.Oxy said...

WOW! A fantastic dress fits you perfect!

Rosy said...

Wow! You'll look great in Las Vegas with this dress, Awesome! The final touch of the feathers is very luxurious. You are very talented.

Krafty Kat said...

Oh, wow- you look great in that dress! Fantastic you were able to make it all yourself! Have an awesome time in Vegas and thanks for linking up!

Sara said...

Looks great! Following from a blog hop.
www.thehickmanfour.blogspot.com
www.touchofhomelearning.blogspot.com

Let'sMakeADifference said...

looks great !! you are talented! Just found your blog and I'm following! Would love for you to check out my blog and follow back!

Heather@myeverydaygraces said...

Love the hemline; so cute! Thanks for posting how you did it:)

Holly Lefevre said...

I am a huge fan of the little black everything - my fave color. The trim on the hem is fabulous!

Tany said...

WOW, that's a show stopper outfit!! Well done!

AllieMakes! said...

Very sweet! I love the sheer!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Alayna Smith said...

GREAT IDEA. THANK YOU FOR SHARING. I AM YOUR NEWEST FOLLOWER AND I WOULD BE HONORED IF YOU WOULD LINK YOUR SUPER CUTE BLOG UP ON MY BLOG STALKIN' PAGE.

http://alaynahoward.blogspot.com/p/blog-stalkin.html