Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Modern Tulle Skirt



 It has been gloomy & raining here lately so I have surrounded myself with some new spring fabric!  I have started to sew some Spring skirts hoping that winter will soon come to and end!  This is the first time I have worked with tulle and found it not too bad. 


 
 The cutting of the fabric was a little time consuming to line up, and I had to be extra careful in cutting the fabric straight.  I did the gathering on my sewing machine by sewing two straight lines
 and pulling the bottom threads on either side to make a gather.

 This tulle is called a shimmer tulle and the skirt fabric is a stretch cotton from the new Spring Collection at the fabric store.  I bought 4 meters of this modern cotton fabric & plan to sew a fitted dress with the remainder.  I just have not decided on a pattern.  Any suggestions?  This is an A line skirt that is my own pattern & I added the tulle for a little glamor. 


I have not worn a  tulle skirt since I was trained in classic ballet, modern jazz & tap many years ago.  I have been asked to volunteer in a children's ballet class soon & decided to sew my own ballet skirt.  I was surprised by the selection & vibrant colour of the tulle.  After I sewed my ballet skirt I layed it on top of the cotton skirt I had already started to sew and I thought how pretty it looked together. I decided to add it to the outer layer instead of the usual inside.  This is my first tulle skirt design so I thought I would share it with you!

I attached the gathered tulle on to the waist band of the skirt and folded over to sew.  I used my pinking shears to trim excess fabric to keep the bulk around the waist down.
 I purposely did not add too much tulle as I wanted  it too look like an overlay & not a ballet skirt!
Here I am thinking is this too poofy?


I serged the hem in hot pink thread.  The top is made by me with the last of my bamboo fabric using a boat neck pattern.  It is so easy just 2 pieces! 
This was another project that took more time to design than sew!

22 comments:

Kristina said...

Very nice skirt! I'm impressed :) Following from Thirsty Thursday Blog Hop. You can follow back at www.pickfamilynonsense.blogspot.com :)

Little Treasures said...

I made a similar skirt for my daughter except the tulle was underneath! It does look interesting this way!

Clavel said...

I love the shoes! following your blog here, hope you could visit mine, tnx! and GOD bless!

Krista said...

Cute! You did a great job! I'd love for you to come share it at this weekend's party! Hope to see you there!

Amanda @ Ninth Street Notions said...

Fun skirt. I just made my first skirt. Come share sometime at I Made It! Monday at Ninth Street Notions.

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

So cute and hip! Thanks so much for linking up to Beyond the Picket Fence.

AllieMakes! said...

FUN! Fabulous job!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Kassi @ Truly Lovely said...

You are so talented lady!!! I love seeing each new piece of clothing that you link up each week at Fancy This Fridays!!! :)

Sasha said...

You really are such a talented seamstress. Thanks for linking up to Creation Mondays @ ~The Life of Me~!

Sarah said...

great skirt! I love the fabric!

Krafty Kat said...

How cute! I love tulle- so feminine! Thanks for linking up!

Jana said...

How creative! Thanks for linking up over at Giggles, Glitz & Glam!

Crystal said...

Very pretty. Thanks for linking up

Tammy @ Type A said...

very cute, thanks for sharing this at my party!

Thendral said...

Lovely!!!

Ally @ tinywalletstyle said...

Very cool! Nice work- I love tulle. If it were socially acceptable, I'd wear my wedding dress all the time. ;)

Jen said...

What a great idea! I have started coming to your blog when I need a little sewing inspiration! Thanks for sharing everything! and for linking up to Fantastic Friday.

AmieAnn said...

Whoo hooo! This is awesome.. love the look of the tulle! Thanks for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party!

To Sew With Love said...

Hi, Denise Angela! thanks for linking up last week! hope to see you again this week! have a nice weekend!

http://tosewwithlove.blogspot.com/2011/02/crafty-saturday-link-up-party-no-9.html

Christine said...

this is really cute! I love how floaty and romantic the skirt becomes with the tulle. thanks for linking this up with my Show and Share linky party!

Its Sew For You said...

You are so cute! I love the iridescent :) I keep wanting to try making myself a skirt, but seem to keep making mini-skirts for my daughter insteady, how do they always take your time?!
Thanks for linking up at http://itssewforyou.blogspot.com!

Tany said...

The tulle was a very nice touch, it adds glamour!