Friday, February 25, 2011

BellaDonna Flower Dress



This dress has been awhile in the making.  My inspiration for this dress is the Bella Donna flower that grows in my front garden every summer. 



It is a beautiful white flower that has a heavenly scent.  I like wearing white and I made the strapless ruffle bodice last May.  I also like the 1960's shift dresses so I also thought of that when I was putting it together.  It was one the first dresses I made without a pattern but I did not like it on its own, so it sat in my unfinished pile.  The material is a soft sheen cotton & is so comfortable to wear so I did not rip it apart. 

When I finished my Tulle Skirt I thought of this dress and decided to make an overlay.  I used the McCall's 6199 pattern but I changed it quite a bit so I basically just used the sleeves & neckline from the pattern.  I also took in the sides to give it more shape.
For the hem I added more length to give it better drape at the sides.
The overlay is a sheer fashion fabric with little hearts.  My fave!
I did a double rolled hem at the bottom.


The white bella donna is one of my fave flowers that I love and during the winter I like to buy a couple to put in my sewing studio as inspiration.  So while I was making this dress I was surrounded by the beautiful aroma of this flower.
It is also my 45th birthday in a few days so I needed to finish this white dress to wear on this black day! lol
 I feel truly blessed with a caring loving husband, & three beautiful daughters that on this birthday I really feel I have enough material items & I would rather just relax & spend the day with them!  All of us dressed in our Sunday best of course!




But my true inspiration for this special post are:

The Princess

 The Model

and Mini-Me
& my elusive husband who does not like to be in pics!

This is my Fashion Friday project this week!

Have a great weekend!


20 comments:

Shawn said...

Very pretty dress,Happy Birthday!

Karen said...

You have done a fabulous job. It looks great. Enjoy wearing it on your birthday and I hope you have a wonderful family meal.

WobiSobi said...

Beautiful ! super Job!!!

WobiSobi said...

You look amazing for 45 WOW!!! Beautiful. Happy Birthday!!

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said...

Rawr! That looks gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

anne maskell said...

You look lovely! Another great project by you!

Rosy said...

Yey! Happy Birthday, my friend! You look great! I am 46 years old and look like your mother, lol. The white dress is wonderful!

Rosy said...

Hi girl, here I bring a dress with a history project for the Fashion Friday this week.
http://sewingadicta.blogspot.com/2011/02/story-of-dress.html

Chrissie said...

aww I love it! Great Job :)

PrettyLittleLovelyChrissie.blogspot.com

Carolyn said...

This dress is fabulous, and I adore it with the sheer overlay! Inspired! I hope you had a lovely evening out with your family; Happy Birthday!

Naturally Me Creations said...

A cute dress! :)

Tnx so much for linking this up at my party this weekend! :)

And hope you have a lovely b'day!

Bobbi Bullard said...

Lovely save! It looks wonderful. You look wonderful in it. Happy Birthday!

Dayna said...

It looks like your life is a blast! How great that your family is so close.

Debra@Dejarenew.blogspot.com said...

Wow you are a great seamstress! And your pictures are to cute!! Thanks for coming by my link party this weekend and linking up this darling dress!!

Deb
http://dejarenew.blogspot.com

LambAround said...

What a pretty dress! Just right for springtime :)

Tany said...

Fabulous, great inspiration too!!

Humble Homemaker said...

Very pretty! It came out great. I love the overlay... very fresh and floaty. Thanks for hooking up at my Weekend Link Party! Have a great day.
Humble Homemaking

Krafty Kat said...

Just lovely! Thanks for linking this up!

To Sew With Love said...

so lovely both the model and the dress! but the model, more! ^^) thanks for sharing and linking up! we hope to see you again this week! ^^)

AllieMakes! said...

You are a great seamstress! fantastic job!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com